Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Inspired by my cousin,,,

,,,I went around my apartment complex last night, checking out "bargain bins". I found some ceiling fans in various conditions and unverified operational status. But then I found a box with some unassembled piece of furniture, so I brought it back as well.
This evening I had time to find out what it was. As I took out the pieces, I guessed that it was a crib -- and was trying to think of someone who could use it -- but then I looked at the pictures and labels and it appears that someone got a table and Baker's Rack for Christmas, but only wanted the table and chairs. They even left me the hardware (with an allen wrench!). Since I have a better scanner than camera, and due to mass production, they all look the same, so I used the picture off the box.

Comments:
wow1 very nice! last night, as robert and i were leaving the midwife's office i saw the dumpster out back, and suggested we might find a baby in there....but no luck!
 
Inspired by my brother

Dumpstering has been fun lately. You all know about the mounds of meat--I found 2 or 3 more cases last week. Simeon's freezer is full, Chad and Deborah's is full, ours is full, Kenton and Karissa have a bunch, Jeremy Stoltzfus has a winter's supply, some missionary friends have all they can use, and we put some in another friend's deep freeze. And, it's mostly steak!

Now I speak of a mystery--how does, oh, maybe a third of a skid of pizza sauce get in the dumpster? Some is broken, most in loose jars, but on top are a dozen or so boxes (of 12 quart jars) with only a bit of sauce on them here and there? (we have a theory).

I was waiting to pounce on a bunch of fruit. I found a couple bushels of apples, but some of them were rotten and the bags were dirty (things people put in dumpsters these days!). Since fruit usually comes in batches, I figured I'd leave them in my trunk for a day or two. Sure enough, the next day there was several bushels of nice, clean, fresh apples.

I smashed half of them with a sledge hammer and filled 3 5 gallon buckets. Throw on some potassium metabisulfite for 24 hours, add some enzyme to break down the pectin, some trisodium phosphate and urea mixture, and finally some microorganisms to convert C6H12O6 to 2-C2H60 + 2-CO2 . . . .

I figure the total cost for around 30 bottles of apple wine will be close to 20 bucks (most is the additional 5 or 6 bags of sugar) but I've already found half the sugar I need in the dumpster.

Happy diving!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.