Saturday, April 02, 2011

Auto-bots, Disassemble!

Thursday, December 4th, 2008

Sorry for the delay. I didn’t feel like writing.
If you don’t already, I suggest subscribing to my RSS feed—get an RSS Reader, or use the Google Reader. But if you’ve been checking back everyday for the last months, you are more patient than I!

Anyway.
So, where was I? Oh, so this evening I was eating supper with a family from church, and afterwards, we were going to play a game or something. But, they didn’t have Pictionary, so I suggested they come over to my garage and help me take apart my car. They had been stuck in the house for a week because the youngest had chicken pox, and it was expected to spread. The youngest stayed with mom, and the rest came over. A week or so ago, I finally started to disassemble my old Mazda (poor Cecil!). I had spent about an hour, and taken off the two driver’s doors, some of the interiors, the driver seat, the back seats. So this evening they took out some more interiors–removed the glove compartment, the right mirror, the card that controls the blinker, the passenger’s seat. That was mostly the little kids. Meanwhile, there was a group working on the front. Took the hood off, and started to dig into the engine. The battery came out, the valve cover came off, the rocker arms out, part of the intake, some of the lights. I mostly struggled with the radiator. The car was mashed in the front, which pushed it all together a little more. I didn’t get it out until after they had all gone home. I’ve got the distributor off and the injector rail. There is an intake box that seems to be bolted from the bottom, so I think I need to take off the manifold and then I can get it apart more easily. I need to drain the oil before I get too deep into the engine, but that requires climbing under the car. Maybe I should have sent a little kid under there.
They seemed to enjoy it a lot, despite the cold. I think it is a pretty good evening activity. So, kids, find some screwdrivers, and 10 and 12 millimeter wrenches and sockets, and go to work! Until you get to a bolt that you can’t get started by yourself, you don’t even need to tell Mom and Dad!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.