Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Plane Down



It is actually pretty common in RC. Something happens and you end up with pieces of a plane instead of a contraption that flies. Sometimes it is a large emotional and physical loss---a couple weeks ago, Bob's plane disintigrated onto the ground.  Sometime it can just be pretty annoying---a few days later a ~12 year old was making a second pass at landing after a round in an aerobatics competition, and he had too much advise, and cart-wheeled it into the tall grass. The diagnosis was that it may be salvagable.  That seems to be impractical on mine.  But let's start over.
I got a new engine, and ran it for the first time yesterday---after some prodding from experts, it ran quite nicely. Ran much of a tank of gas through it, and we got my radio hooked up with a buddy box so I could fly copilot with someone more experienced.  Two experienced guys took it off and were getting it all trimmed out before handing me the buddy box. It flew well, and it was cool to see something I had worked on take to the skies. Then as it was coming upwind, the copilot said, "I don't have it!" and so the guy holding the transmitter took control and dropped the throttle...but it never responded.  It came down at a slight angle, mid-throttle and disappeared among the trees along the river.  Not really sure what to do, I acted upbeat and it seemed going and getting it was best, so I took off across the field toward where I saw it last. 



Soon I had beat through the tall grass and could see the muddy water-path that passes as a River here.  Ah, there it was, near the head of the sandbar, not floating anywhere, which was good. The others arrived in a vehicle and I waded across to the sandbar--up to my knees--and gathered up the pieces. It was in 6 inches of water, the wing was broken in half on the fusilage, and the engine had wrenched off the front of the plane and was lying in the water, still connected by control linkages. Pretty easy to recover. I drain the water out of the wings (now plural) and bring it back to shore. After we get back to the field, we assess the damage. The battery seems to test good. One servo has stripped gears, and the receiver doesn't seem to work right. Maybe it's the battery. So they charge the battery. Still, it just moves the servos a little when first plugged in, but gives no indication that it cares about the signals it is getting. Maybe the transmitter needs charging. That doesn't help. So, it looks like the receiver failed, and that is why they lost control of the plane, and so it just flew heedlessly into the river. Water, especially muddy water isn't good for an engine. So Bob told me how to take it apart and wash it out with fuel when I got home. He took my transmitter and receiver home to test, and offered to get it fixed, which is rather kind of him. Today he brought me another receiver, and is going to send mine in, having determined that everything works but it. He is pretty eager to see me in the air again. I feel somewhat hesitant, but try not to show it.
When I bought this plane it had an old radio, so I replaced it. The engine subsequently died, so I got a new one of those too. Now the airframe is gone, so all I need is a kit (and some servo gears) and I can be back in the air! Reminds me of the old ax that had been handed down for generations--the handle had been replaced 7 times, and the head twice, but it was still a good ax.



For what it's worth, here's a poem from last night:


I so recently found you
I gave you new life, new energy, new spirit...
and now you are gone.
I had a hand in making you live,
but I had no control over your death,
No one did.
Goodbye,
It it no longer you, even if I continue on with pieces of your life.
What died was all that defined you.
I lost you, goodbye.

  

Comments:
So right about now I'm wondering if it's still safe for my parents to fly to Vegas. After all, you build the big ones and you build the little ones. The little one crashed, the big one....

Please asure me that terrorists were in control and I will rest, at peace that all is well in the skys.
 
Your fears are well founded. Not only is Vegas fueled by greed and discontent, it is also known for it's debauchery and liscensiousness of antedeluvian proportions. Anyway, are your parents doing ok? In Las Vegas it takes three hours to three days to go from Mr. & Mrs. Yoder to Mr. Yoder and Mz. Miller. Now, the flying part? I am making planes better, and I have dozens of people watching to make sure it is right, or at least done according to due process
 
so sad to see da dead plane..
my stinky washer awaits your ministry
glad that you have some frivolity in your life.. dead planes are not to.. how do you spell dat vord?
 
The several-hour stop in Vegas is a necessary evil (yeah, yeah, they all say that!) to get from Lan Co to Grand Canyon. A very rude interruption, I admit, of a journey from beauty to awe-inspiring glory. I'm not much interested in being liscensioused into Mz. Miller. I'll remember that whatever happens in the plane is according to due process.
 
how terribly sad! i hope her state is more comatic than deceased and that she'll be flapping around like new before too long.
 
tut tut... yes, at time various forces combine, scientific and murphy's, which cause certain demises.... but then think of the practice you'll get building another one... I had a plane that rested for years in my house, afraid to do what planes are made to do... then briefly it did what planes are to do, but one day it crashed 3 times... the final one was terminal...a bit unhappy, but a learning experience, non the less..
uncle d
 
All this plane flyng and crashing makes me want to get mine in the air. I have even had thoughts of aquiring a helicopter liense. They tell me it is tough though. Well not this summer.
 
Hey, I have a helicopter here if you come get it... no garantees other than it seems that all the pieces are there, thanks to Jonathan... and it hasn't done what choppers are meant to do since about 6 years ago
uncle d
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.