Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cleaner

Yesterday I started cleaning.  My living room is now pretty neat and clean. My dining room only has piles of junk around the edges.  My kitchen floor is swept.  My bathroom is amazingly more clean.  The middle of my bedroom is swept, but there is more stuff piled there.  And my closet is almost impassible now.  But my clothes are washed.  What sparked this domestic industriousness was the fact that my family needs a place to stay for a night, and so I need some accessible floor space.
Interestingly, I can waste time for hours reading stuff, writing blogs, etc. but once I can get myself started on something useful I usually have a hard time stopping. Last night I was just planning to clean my living room, but one thing led to another, and before I knew it I was scrubbing the shower.

Work goes on as usual.  Monday I had a meeting with several people from the shop, my boss and a another guy.  We discussed a problem and settled on a decision that everyone who showed up could be happy with.  And it was a much easier fix that I was planning.  Then there are times that I realize just how comically inefficient we are.  Like printing out over 80 sheets of paper to represent some assemblies so I can change a "5" to a "7" in 8 places.  And some of those places that "5" is in pretty small type.  Now, there was lots more I was changing on those 80 pieces of paper, but it was just overhead for the change.  I enjoy making little red marks on paper (especially if I had some softer red lead) and I have a kind of sadistic happiness in printing out massive amounts of paper.

Today I bought an engine for my airplane.  The one I had doesn't work anymore.  It is pretty old, but it seemed to have pretty good compression---even with the glow plug out!  An engine should turn over easily with that cork removed from the top of the head. The piston only went partway up into the cylinder, even after I disassembled it in the field and the guys smoothed it down with some emery cloth.  So, I picked up a new one.  I shouldn't have trouble finding parts for this one. And the carb should work. And the head shouldn't leak.

Well, I need to get the blankets out of the tub so I can take a shower and go to bed.

And here's a picture of my kitchen the other day, to give you an idea of what messy means...


Comments:
i think the moral of this story is that you are more of a mennonite than you may realize.
 
Thanks Tiz, that means I am less of one. "Having a hard time stopping" when I am cleaning is not in my realm of comprehension. However, I also do strange things when relatives are expected, so maybe that counts.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.