Saturday, April 02, 2011

there and back…again

Sunday, December 30th, 2007

It’s been a while since I was home. I spent the week before Christmas working, but rather than being at my regular location, I was in Connecticut, “coordinating” with our customer. Unfortunately, many of the people I would have needed to talk to were already enjoying their vacation with their families. They have to use-or-lose their vacation by the end of the year, so there was a good bit of that going on. Seems to me that like cell phones, companies would do well to offer “Rollover Vacation” since leaving for the last couple weeks of the year may not be most fun for the employees, nor may it be the most convenient for the company. I’m glad my company lets me store vacation from year to year.

After working all week, and battling a sore throat, I packed my items as well as I could, and drove my rental car back to the airport from which I came. But, instead of boarding a plane, I barely made it onto a bus heading to the railroad station. I needed quarters, so I ran to the snack counter in the airport, got some change, and hurried back to the bus, where the driver was still waiting.

At the railway station, I pulled out the ticket I had had mailed to my hotel room, and waited for the train south. It arrived, and I was whisked toward NYC, the automated voice announcing each station as we approached. Long before we got to Grand Central Terminal, we went underground. There we bumped along in the dark, surrounded by dimly-lit arches and pillars which held up New York City. I was struck by how much permanent infrastructure there is, supporting the world as we know it.

Eventually we reached the end of the line, and I followed the crowds toward the surface. I came out in a huge, ornate room, with tiny lights in the ceiling, as far away as the stars. It seems I have seen this important part of Grand Central before—probably in a movie.

I bought a 6-ride pass, and headed to the shuttle. A little train that went to Times Square, and then, as I found out, right back again. (I misinterpreted the signs, and jumped back on the shuttle I came on) So, I took an extra round trip back to Grand Central. Then I found the “3″ train,,,and went north instead of south. I actually set foot top-side in New York City, crossed Broadway, and went back underground. Finally, I got to Penn Station, and rushed over to the Amtrak station, printed my ticket, and found my gate. It was 9:03, and the train left at 9:09, but it seems it was slightly delayed—there were still masses of people waiting to get on.

I found a seat—it was like an airplane, but quieter, roomier, and I didn’t have to turn off my cell. And I didn’t have to fasten my seat belt, and there was a water faucet with cups at the end of the car. Amtrak is a very comfortable way to travel. People talking in hushed tones, or sleeping, and the countryside sped by. I think it was faster than a car. Once again, the huge amount of ancient infrastructure surprised me: all along the way, huge rusted towers held electric wires that feed the train.

Eventually I moved up a couple cars so I would be near the short platform at my destination, and then we pulled up, and I got off. I walked into the parking lot, got into a car I had never seen before, and drove off to the church, where my cousins and their cousins were having Christmas dinner.

It was interesting to blend in with people, a few of whom I had met before, and many who were new to me. But, we had a good evening of exchanging gifts, playing games, and discussing deep subjects of citizen responses to violence and safety.

It was late in the evening, and I finally was “home” to a place I knew, after jumping from ship to ship since 5:30 am.

The rest of the weekend was fine, drove to Delaware, and ate food, and again exchanged gifts (I liked the white elephant method used in DE better than the PA family version). Monday we went to the beach. We walked in the sand, toward some towers at the end of the beach. They looked closer than 10 miles away. But we walked and walked and didn’t seem to get much closer. Sim ran down to them and back. He found a green plastic item that seemed to be a “pull ring to light fuse” pyrotechnical device. Garret found some rocks and shells. I didn’t get any sand because I had already collected some a few miles up the beach. And I wasn’t carrying a ziplock.

Tuesday was Christmas day, and Uncle Charlie invited me and Jonathan to take part in their morning ceremony. It was interesting to see a real Christmas for the first? time. And I kind of understand it now. It is really exciting for the kids. And we read Luke 2 again (while we were waiting, Jonathan suggested we read Luke 1 so we would know the background). I’m not sure what I’ll do when I have kids. Will we celebrate Christmas? I guess if I’m going to start, I could before I have kids. I’m sure I won’t tell my kids that Santa Claus is real, but what about a tree? Seem still too pagan for me. Gifts aren’t very pagan, the devil didn’t invent giving. Oh well.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.