Monday, April 17, 2006

Trip 4

This trip started with me leaving late from work early. Drove north (half hour on the interstate) and got in a car with my first cousin and second cousin and two cousins that were what? fourth or fifth? And we drove home to MO.
Got there late at night, and my parents were sitting outside, watching for us and enjoying the evening. We ate and drank even later into the night.
Friday we went canoeing on the Current River---CedarGrove to Aker's Ferry. We daily-doilied laundry whey, and so it took us all afternoon, paddling, looking at turtles and springs and flowers and swimming in the water and climbing on the rocks.
Saturday we got up late and made hammocks and food and icecream and jumped on the trampoline and then went dancing. It was fun. Some of the dances were pretty clever the way all the people turned this way and walked that way and then you end up right again, but progressed. Unless, as often happened, I lose my way and end up running to somewhere and hoping it is back where I need to be. That evening we stayed up late, even by college standards and Mom and Dad talked about life and stuff and I made a big, strechy hammock, that, like the one in the Phoenix Lab is pretty useless, so it is a good thing it springs out of the way. (it is hanging in the woods, and Isaac and Zion have to jump to reach it, but then it almost touches the ground.)
Sunday was Resurrection Morning, so we got up late (I can't think of a meaningful, allogorical reason) and ate again. And since Dad and Mom's homechurch meets only 3 out of 4 weeks, we went for a walk and enjoyed the Sun and wind and trees and plants that would have no reason or existance except that the Risen Son created them. When we got back with our scratched and cow bones and ticks, we took showers (it didn't get the pine tar out of my hair, but it got most of it off my arms) and then after eating somemore, Mom packed up some food and we headed north 2 hours to my sister's place to have supper. My parents are amazing. They have a pretty good sized house now, and so when ever they get a chance they love to have as many people over as possible--which is usually limited by people, not room. (they can easily bed 14 people) But it isn't just room. They are happy and able to just pour their time into making it a great time. And food. Mom can whip up enough food for any size group---and we have had some big ones. And what do they want in return? If you play the piano some, they are happy.

I really like Missouri (a Kiswahili homonym for "good")---it is especially pleasant this time of year, with everything greening up. And I like hanging out with my parents, they are intentional about making people feel needed and loved, having been through life for so long, having hard times and healing times and they are ready to learn about other's experiences.

So, if you are going through the middle of Missouri, and want to spend a few days, or hours, in a wonderful place, bring yourself and bring your friends, and make it a party.
Comments:
Mzuri is the kiswahili word for good. I think that you need a very thick southern accent to get mm-zooreee out of Mussori (or however you spell it) as a synonym. But at least you do know something about how the greatest language ever is in the US. Hope you have a great day!
 
the sky bed is a big hit.. today isaac leaped into the high hammock and fell kersplat! flat on his back on the ground! it was a hoot! and where is kiswahili spoken? by whom?
 
Kiswahili is spoken in Kenya. I think it is another name for, or version of what we call Swahili.
 
man, i was so disapointed to miss that weekend. i'm awfully homesick right now!
 
Tirzah is homesick...what on earth does that mean?! Abu likes "hanging out with Mom and Dad" and seeing "everything greening up". Maybe T wants to hang out with Mom and Dad too!
Tonight I was talking to my dad, and telling about "Kevin Yoder" bringing a band of friends home last weekend. And he asks "does that remind you of another time and place?" meaning our home in the 70's. With a warm voice he says "and I'd do it all over again, if I could."
 
And I'm embarrassed to tell you it was Take Two before I figured out "daily-doilied laundry whey". Good word/work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.