Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Will it work?

This morning I rode to work on a bike.  It was fun, speeding through the crisp dawn air.  After work I peddled home again--upwind most of the way, and it seemed like there was more uphill than down.  I take a route that keeps me away from the main roads almost entirely, and only include a little grass.
I heard at lunch that I am supposed to have a bike license.  That it cost $12.  Interesting.  I'll have to look it up and find out if I need brakes and such. (which I have, but they don't meet the "skid on dry pavement" test)  
But, the question is, can I keep it up?  Riding to work means I need to wear pants over my good pants to keep them out of the chain, I get either cold or sweaty on the way to work, I have to carry my lunch in a backpack, and so I can't really take the half gallon of water I am used to drinking everyday.  I also have to get up a half hour earlier.  But, it makes me stay more awake in work, (when combined with enough sleep and the right diet, exercise,,,) and I get some good cardio---although I don't ride at a panting pace like when running. Having been the same route 4 times now, I am starting to get tired of it.  Can I continue to ride this path even when I am tired and don't feel like it?  Should I?  There are so many things that demand my attention, time, energy and motivation, and I am only one person.

Comments:
THAT'S RIGHT! You are only one person--so hire someone to do the exercizing for you. Keep the eating for yourself.
 
oh my, tobias, if you ride your bike to work, think of how buff you will be! you will live longer, if for no other reason than that hippie girls will be following you home....(they seem to like bike riders).
 
I had a five mile ride to work in California. The only thing that kept me doing it after the first week was the fact that my car was very very dead. The excercise was nice, but that doesn't mean that I liked getting it.
 
If you get tired of riding your bike, read information at http://fuelvapors.com/index.htm.. then start inventing (make sure that the world oil interests don't know who you are, you might disappear.....
uncle d
 
Riding bike is deffenatly the thing to do. I ride to scool pretty much all the time, except when it is raining. Snow is fine to ride in. I have a ski mask thing and a little stretchy velcro thing for the pantleg problem. I've only recked twice and never really hurt myself. If you can find the motivation anywere, you ought to keep it up.
 
I'm with Debbi. Exercise is for people with nothing else to do.

Seriously, do it and live!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.