Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Trip 3

So, I went to Texas. The flight was short and I saw that there was alot of surface water in OK and wondered why it didn't sink into the ground---you see small and insignificant surface features such as valleys and hills are, when you are looking down from +30k.

Friday we pulled up tiles on Bubble's floor---he had peel-and-stick tiles, so we peeled them up, and then stuck to the floor, gave a new meaning to gum-soled shoes. Friday evening Aduma got 41 sloppy joes from Bodacious, and we went into SAGA and started eating them and passing them out. It was fun, and helped to reinforce the rich-graduate image, which I guess could have the good effect of helping to encourage our friends to graduate, so they can be rich too. Oh, and help people have a good time.

We went to Hootenanny Live, the 41st annual school talent/variety show. It was pretty cool. Several people I knew or recognized were a part of it---like third-place winner, Grey, who acted in "A LeTourneau Love Story" in which some friends' misunderstanding gives a humorous twist to a study session. [later I found the script under the stage---now I can catch all the words I missed] But that wasn't what he won third for. It was his portrayal of a frustrated student's discussion with God about why things don't work out the way he thought God was leading him. I saw a parallel between "Foundation" and Job, who is asking "Why is all this bad stuff happening too me?" and what Job gets ins't an answer, but a revelation of God's power and might. In the same way, the answer the student receives isn't a "because ____" but just a realization that God is in control, and has set everything up---including James 1:2ff and the song, "How Firm a Foundation," written so that now, they could be a comfort to him, as he sang and discussed the significance of each of the verses. One of the more meaningful skits, "Foundation" was performed authentically---not too long before, Grey applied for floor chaplainship, but didn't get it.
Another skit that showcased someone's unknown-to-me singing talent was the second-place winner, "Heart and Soul" performed by Karen (Slope's fiance`). I knew she could play keyboard, but her expressive singing was a surprise, as she performed the melody with life, variety and feeling---and a well-developed range. It was enlightening to realize that there are more words than the first line to the common piano tune---next I expect I will discover that there are more words to "Chopsticks" than "dantdantdantdant...."
First Place went to some people I didn't know, (but I am sure are friends to many). It was three couples performing an expertly-practiced swing routine. When I was in school, social dancing was carefully viewed with suspicion. Shows how long I have been an alumnus.

There aren't alot of people that I know still on campus, so it makes the few more cool. We were standing and talking with some people that I have gotten to know since I was a student, and one guy was saying "I'm a little abu!" and kneeling on his sandals, pulled his arms into his shirt sleeves to mimic smallness. I like to think that people think I am cool, and I suspect that they think I am more amazing than I actually am---like as the sun sets into darkness, it casts long shadows from small object, so as I disappear into memory, that memory grows greater that I ever was. And maybe they will go on to better things than I did, after all, they can use my memory however they like---I'm flattered that I am even noticed when I return to a place that now belongs to others.

After the show, Aduma and I dropped by the bustin'-out Society Block-Party bonanza and ate a few chips. I was disappointed by the lack of fervor and anything else that I could look disapprovingly upon, unlike the last, umm, "party". Then we went to IHOP with close to the same crew of alumni as last year (or sometime) and had some food and talk. Some of the alumnuses that I hadn't seen in a while were hardly recognizable.

Saturday morning found us back in Belcher Gym, disassembling the stage for the last time carefully---next year it won't be stacked neatly in the back of Facilities Services, since the 42nd Hootenanny will be the last on this stage and in this gym. It was put together differently than I usually see---mostly more orderly and stable. Platforms had been marked so that they could be bolted together next year the same way, and cables held the rotating wall from wobbling. Someone probably said something, or told us not to unhook them yet, but I knew what I was doing---what was this, the sixth time I had done this? Well, it was the first time the cables also held up the sliding-door valence by their tension, instead of screws. So as I finished unhooking the second one, I heard a grinding noise, and felt a painless shock, and leaped off the stage, my mouth assuring those around me that I was ok. I was shaky, so I drank some water. It wasn't very bad, but I like to take care of my head, since it has served me pretty good in the past. I took things a little more careful after that. So much for being invincible----or is it?
We got the circular stage pie-pieces apart, stacking them in the trailer as Smee removed the wheels, after the crew of three unbolted them in record time--about 41 minutes. It is a pain to put together and haul around, but that rotating stage is pretty nice, maybe we can find a use for it. Maybe I should use the computers at work to design a better stage for the new Belcher Chapel and Performing Arts Center---that massive edifice mushrooming out of the front of campus---that place that you will be fired upon and expelled if you visit while its under construction. I used to wander around that place at night...but then they cut down the trees and dug a big hole,,,

Sunday we went to church, just like old time, sitting on the bean bags eating donuts and discussing random spiritual concepts with Baker. And the Graffs are cool. By the way, Dr. Graff's stereotype was mimicked in a skit at Hootenanny. They made fun of him, but in a way that he does himself so it was more of celebrating how cool he is. I can't say the same for how they portrayed Dr. Shaffer, but Didlake was typecast as himself, and showed his carefree and appreciative personality. But, church was cool, and many people stayed behind and talked, which I would like to think is a trend that I helped start.

After working at Bubbles's for a bit, I drove the Chrysler OF DEATH to dfw, stopping on the way to get gas, where I was accosted by a pan-handler, who had a pretty well practiced skit he went through to get me to give him some money. I only parted with a few bucks, and didn't give him any advice on his performance but left as soon as I got as much gas as I could--without checking if the pump gave me a receipt, showing that it had read my card correctly (it took a couple tries) so I may have driven-off without paying and will soon lose my license. In other news, it is bed time, and I miss my friends and maybe tomorrow I will have time to catch up on sleep---tonight was small group. Sleep, work, sleep, work. aaaahhhh! It's ok, I'm just tired, but I wonder if the itching I feel on my neck that started after getting hit on the head is actually not brain damage but just cellulose embedded in my skin from lying on the floor unbolting platforms...
Comments:
whoa, that's quite a weekend!
Glad to hear that hootenanny went well.
And that your head isn't damaged.
 
probably cellulose. brain damage usually exhibits itself by long, intruguing blogposts about one's weekend visits to old haunts....especially if said visit never actually occurred....hmmmmm...
 
did you know that your brain is the consistency of custard and when you smack it around inside your skull it can get damaged like if you dropped the custard on the way to the table? and wow! 41 sloppy joes!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.