Monday, September 26, 2005

Going autistic

I finished my coffe cup shaped table, following a suggestion of aduma's. The glass and metal are from the 1KW light I got. The handle is a hollow nylon tube that I bent by melting it in the oven seen to the left. I wrapped the plastic in aluminum foil and put it in at 400 degrees until it was soft enough to bend, which was 10 minutes or so. Then I bent it in to shape and let it harden. The crumpled foil helped keep it from burning my hands. It did take me two stints with the oven to get it the right shape. Don't melt plastic. Death, injury or fire could result.

It sure took alot of coffee to fill this cup up, but it wasn't like I wanted to drink the stuff.



I picked up a lamp at a yard sale, because it had a beat up lampshade. I made one from fiber reiforced honeycomb. Six tapered pieces held together with stripped cat5 wire. Each twisted pair was hard to unwind, until I found I could put one end in the drill and pull apart the other ends, by operating the drill with my foot. My living room has seen better days, but it has been a while.

Other news:
I spent the day sunday at church where they were hosting a carnival. I was the trash guy, about a half dozen trashcans were all that needed my attention--others took good care of the rest. So it was just enough to keep me from feeling useless or bored. There were games, and big inflatable things, and bands and doorprizes and food and it was all free, YAC-style. Facepainting, popcorn, caricatures and cotton candy were also there. I think it was a success, they were shooting for 400 people and I think they probably had close to double that. I got something of a sunburn, drank over a gallon, and still was dehydrated when I got home after dark.

More pics, posted into the past....
Comments:
you are the Great Architect of all things furniture. Very impressive table, my friend.
 
Sweet table/event news/stuff...

But...

autism

au·tis'tic (-tĭk) adj. & n.

A psychiatric disorder of childhood characterized by marked deficits in communication and social interaction, preoccupation with fantasy, language impairment, and abnormal behavior, such as repetitive acts and excessive attachment to certain objects. It is usually associated with intellectual impairment.


What does your title mean? ;)
 
Oh, I guess that should be artistic then...
 
I figured as much.

Table still rocks the entire western hemisphere though...

Considering a career in funiture design?
 
Abu! My goodness! Would you like to build a desk for me anytime soon?

Mad props to Aduma for the suggestion and to you for the ingenuity. I know amazing people, I do, I do...

I hope things are going well for you. Have a great week!
 
I hate you. Every time you post about making some thing cool you make me feel lazy and useless.

But that is a really cool table. I am glad that you are having fun making stuff. I wish I had the motivation to do stuff like that. You must like your job. Any openings?

Bubbles
 
::soft voice:: "come to iowa...Come to Iowa..."
 
actually, yes there are openings. Especially looking for drafters. I hear that they run a filter over resumes sent in, looking for "design" and "CATIA". So apply with verbiage such as "I don't know CATIA" or "Expert with SW: from the makers of CATIA"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.