Monday, October 03, 2005

the endless ribbon of highway

So, friday I went to work ready to leave for the weekend, but I didn't know if I actually wanted to. I finally committed when I told my boss that I was leaving, and then a half hour later I started for MO. After getting some oil and crackers, I was on the turnpike, and the miles were slipping effortlessly by.
Fast-forward to Columbia, MO, where I met up with my sister, brother-in-law and a friend and we took a '83 Mercedes diesel and drove to Columbus OH.
My whole family was together, which was quite cool. There was a new baby to admire, and friday my next younger brother had announced his engagement.
Half the family drove another 2 hours to a wedding, but I stayed and helped insulate my brother's house. We drilled 3" holes in the siding (51 on one side) and using a large hose, blew cellulose insulation (shredded newsprint) into the walls. I mostly manned the hose, and my youngest brother ran the machine that fluffed and pumped the grey snow. And snow it did--on me, on the ground, in the neighbor's yard. It really wasn't that bad to get covered in the stuff--not itchy like fibre glass, and it had the sweet taste of newspaper when you inhaled it. We ran out of daytime when we had done about half of the duplex.
That evening we sat around and talked. I complained about my job, instead of looking for the cool things about it when they asked.
After breakfast sunday morning three of us left for MO, this time in a Taurus, but we still made it all the way. And then I drove to KS, reaching home about quarter to twelve.
I was really tired today, but I am really glad that I went.
It is now time to sleep, so I can continue my life.
Comments:
My wife thinks you need some female presence to restore some semblence of order to your abode!!!
(of course that is a matter of opinion). I'd say that your inventive spirit may produce a masterpiece one of these days....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

There is hope as we change the world one person at a time.